Hi! I’m Eric. Whether you like something that I posted or you think I’m wrong and I’m just a deplorable asshole, I’m flattered that you’re interested in finding out more about me as a person! So, here’s a list of facts about me:
- I’m a 30 year old awkwardly dorky boy from Cleveland, OH.
- Yes, I just referred to myself as a boy. I just don’t feel totally grown-up, and I don’t want to if it means being a boring soccer dad who only talks about sports and the rigors and artistry of lawn maintenance. I’m cool with being responsible and wise, but not with being a cookie cutter suburban patriarch.
- The two main things I enjoy in life are music and video games.
- My favorite genres of music are indiepop (or “indie pop”, “indie poop”, or “that cutesy bullshit that fey, stickly boys in cardigans like to listen to), classic indie rock, and video game music.
- While I try not to fault people too much for not liking the music that I like, I believe that Neutral Milk Hotel is the greatest thing ever to happen to human civilization, that the entire sum of human history was merely a precursor to the making and release of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and that everyone should at least agree with me that Neutral Milk Hotel totally rules.
- My other favorite bands/artists include The Frogs, The Mountain Goats, the All Girl Summer Fun Band, Dressy Bessy, cub, Mirah, Nobuo Uematsu, The Minibosses, and… well, just go to my last.fm page if you really want an exhaustive list.
- I’m more emo in attitude than in musical taste. Just like how a person can be punk in attitude without playing actual punk rock music.
- Video game systems that I have include a PS3, a Wii, a DS, and a laptop that decently handles PC games.
- My favorite video game of all time is probably the Civilization series, but I’ve been playing mostly Call of Duty and Team Fortress 2 as of late.
- My favorite books are Microserfs by Douglas Coupland and the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.
- I don’t watch much TV because I don’t have cable and the digital transition took most of my channels away. Even if I did have cable, I probably wouldn’t watch much now because THE HISTORY CHANNEL DOESN’T SHOW HISTORY ANYMORE! All they do now is air reality shows and awkwardly justify them with the “History-Made Every Day” slogan. It’s just like how MTV started showing The Real World instead of music videos in the ’90s. Reality shows just ruin everything…
- I do have all-time favorite TV shows, though. Star Trek (especially TOS and TNG), The State, Ren and Stimpy (I know the “Royal Anthem of the Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen by heart), and The Simpsons.
- I also like to play musical instruments, mainly guitar. I also have a bass, a (fake electronic) drum set, and a synth.
- I want to have a band/solo musical project someday. The only thing stopping me is that I haven’t mastered writing lyrics. I do know what I want to say, I just don’t know how to say it in rhyme without sounding trite or unremarkable. I don’t know if I will fix this problem before I get too old to be relevant to young people. Oh, well…
- I have a Master’s Degree (in communication). If I sound needlessly verbose and pedantic at times, that’s why. Sorry in advance.
- I consider myself to be religiously agnostic. I used to be very militant about it, but now in my advanced age, I have the wisdom to accept that religion gives people much-needed stability and purpose in life. It causes me great anguish to not have those things, but I value truth more than reassuring conjecture. Still, if that keeps you from going over the edge, I won’t freak out about it as long as you don’t try to legislate based on religious taboos that have no logical secular basis. (Legalize gay marriage now!)
- Politically, I’m a social liberal and undecided on my economic orientation. I think that capitalism can work, but only if everyone in the capitalist system acts in consideration of everyone’s best interests and with long-term gains in mind. (Obviously, that doesn’t happen.) However, I think humanity’s eventual goal should be to evolve into a moneyless Star Trek-like utopia. I don’t believe that will happen in my lifetime, though.
- My favorite guilty pleasures are Civil War history, Say Anything (the emo band), and Cleveland Browns football.
So, all in all, I’m not any more special than you are, I don’t think you should value my opinions above those of everyone else, and the whole “uberhipster” thing is an inside joke between me and my friends.
I’m using this mainly as a personal blog where I can put verbose ramblings that are too long and out-of-place for Facebook. And also to post and reblog other people’s content in an unoriginal and bandwagonesque manner, of course. I will be surprised if anyone who is not already my friend will be interested in this.